Ludhiana Junction railway station
|Indian Railways junction station|
|Elevation||246 metres (807 ft)|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Northern Railways|
Ludhiana–Lohian Khas line
|Tracks||12 broad gauge 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Structure type||Standard on ground|
|Zone(s)||Northern Railway zone|
Ludhiana Junction railway station (station code: LDH) was a railway station located in Ludhiana district in the Indian state of Punjab and served Ludhiana. It was located in about the centre of the city and was among the busiest railway stations of Punjab. It was also among the cleanest of railway stations of India.
The railway station
Ludhiana railway station was at an elevation of 246 metres (807 ft) and was assigned the code – LDH.
The Ludhiana–Jakhal line was laid in 1901, possibly by the Southern Punjab Railway Co.
The extension from the Macleodganj (later renamed Mandi Sadiqganj and now in Pakistan) railway line to Ludhiana was opened by the Southern Punjab Railway Company in 1905.
The Mandi Gobindgarh-Ludhiana sector was electrified in 1996–97.
Ludhiana Diesel Loco Shed held 184+ locos including WDM-2, WDM-3A and WDG-3A/WDG-4D. Ludhiana Electric Loco Shed was commissioned in 2001 and houses WAG-5 (now transferred to other shed), WAG-7, WAG-9 and WAP-4 (now transferred to TKD DLS) locos.
Ludhiana was amongst the top hundred booking stations of Indian Railways.
- "Ludhiana railway station". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- R.P. Saxena. "Indian Railway History timeline". IRFCA. Archived from the original on 14 July 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2012.
- "Chapter VII – Communications". Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2014.
- "Chapter VII Communications". Archived from the original on 23 February 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "New Rail Link". The Tribune. 19 April 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2014.
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|Northern Railway zone||
|Terminus||Northern Railway zone||
|Terminus||Northern Railway zone|