Ranchi Junction railway station
|Location||Ranchi, Ranchi district, Jharkhand|
|Elevation||629.00 metres (2,063.65 ft)|
|Owned by||South Eastern Railway of the Indian Railways|
|Operated by||Indian Railways|
|Line(s)||Netaji S.C.Bose Gomoh–Hatia main line and Ranchi–Lohardaga–Tori line|
|Platforms||5 (main line), 1 (terminus) and total 6 platforms|
|Structure type||Standard (on-ground station)|
|Zone(s)||South Eastern Railway|
|Electrified||Double electrified BG (Tripling on process)|
|Previous names||East Indian Railway|
|1,00,000 per day|
Ranchi Junction railway station, station code RNC, was the railway station serving the capital city of Ranchi in the Ranchi district in the Indian state of Jharkhand. Ranchi station was also the headquarters of the Ranchi division of the South Eastern Railway zone of the Indian Railways. The Ranchi Junction railway station was connected to most of the major cities in India by the railway network.
Ranchi had trains running frequently to Delhi, Kolkata and Patna. The city was a major railway hub and had four major stations: Ranchi Junction, Hatia, Tatisilwai and Namkon. It was one of the top hundred booking stations.
In November 1907, Ranchi was brought onto India's railway map with the Purulia–Ranchi narrow-gauge line. In 1911, it was extended up to Lohardaga.
In 2003, the Ranchi division was carved out from the existing Adra railway division of the South Eastern Railway zone. As of 2012 Ranchi station was being renovated and developed in the lines of Jaipur railway station. The ceilings of the Unreserved Ticketing System (UTS) and the Passenger Reservation System (PRS) were being beautified with scenery. The facade of the Ranchi station had been improved in February 2012. In Feb 2012 two new platforms were added to the Ranchi station along with mechanical interlocking system.
Ranchi Junction was located closed to the bus terminal and domestic airport providing transport to important destinations of Jharkhand. Automatic ticket vending machines had been installed to reduced the queue for train tickets on the station. The railway medical unit provided health facilities was located near Muri Junction]. The nearest airports to Ranchi Junction were:
- Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi 5 kilometres (3.1 mi)
- Gaya Airport 179 kilometres (111 mi)
- Lok Nayak Jayaprakash Airport, Patna 420 kilometres (260 mi)
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata 365 kilometres (227 mi)
- Kiro, Santosh K. (19 October 2011). "Ranchi station on a weak platform". The Telegraph (Calcutta). Calcutta, India. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Ranchi Rly station to adopt Jaipur model". The Pioneer. 7 February 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "ACHIEVEMENTS DURING THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY 2012" (PDF). South Eastern Railway Ranchi. Retrieved 26 April 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "New platforms for Ranchi station". The Telegraph. Calcutta. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ranchi railway station.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Ranchi.|