Tirupati railway station
|Express train, Passenger train and Commuter rail station|
|Location||Chennai–Anantpur Highway 205, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh|
|Elevation||150 m (492 ft)|
|Line(s)||Gudur–Katpadi branch line|
|Structure type||Standard (on-ground station)|
|Zone(s)||South Coast Railway zone|
Tirupati railway station (station code: TPTY) was a railway station located in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It served Tirupati and experiences a regular flow of tourists visiting the Tirumala Venkateswara Temple in the Chittoor district. It was an environmentally friendly station, and had been awarded a Gold rating by the Indian Green Building Council. There were several railway stations that fall within the city limits of Tirupati, namely Yerpedu, Renigunta Junction, Tirupati West Halt, and Chandragiri railway station.
The metre-gauge line of the South Indian Railway Company was opened in 1891. The line originally started from Villupuram in the South Arcot district and passed through Katpadi and Chittoor to Pakala. The Gudur–Katpadi line, covering Tirupati, had since been converted to broad gauge.[when?]
Structure and amenities
This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2021) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following facilities had been upgraded recently with an estimated cost of around 11 Crores:
1. A new waiting hall in platforms 4 and 5 for the convenience of travelers, with a seating capacity of 210 people, in an area of over 1.200 square meters.
2. High-speed Wi-Fi and LED TV facilities.
3. A cloakroom on platform 1, with an area of 100 square meters. Around 50 steel racks had been installed in the room for the safe deposit of passenger luggage.
4. The existing booking office, announcement facility, and display board area had been renovated.
5. A premium lounge of over 350 square meters had been developed in platform 1 with an estimated cost of around 1.06 crores. It had state of the art facilities for travelers, including washrooms, lounges, and food and drink locations.
- "Station Code Index" (PDF). Portal of Indian Railways. 2015. p. 46. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- "Tirupati station gets gold rating for green initiative". The Hindu. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 24 April 2019.
- W.Francis (1989). Gazetter of South India. 1. p. 14. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Katpadi Jn – Pakala Jn". IRFCA, 1966. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Category of Stations over Guntakal Division". South Central Railway zone. Portal of Indian Railways. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Solar Panels at Railway Stations". Press Information Bureau. Delhi. 10 April 2018. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- Desk, India com News (11 April 2018). "Solar Panels Installed at railway stations Across Country – Full List". India.com. Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "Facilities upgraded at Tirupati railway station". The New Indian Express. The New Indian Express. 11 February 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tirupati railway station.|
- Tirupati travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|South Central Railway zone||